Saturday, February 10, 2007

Salty Yeast Extract

Anyone who visits Australia will sooner or later encounter Vegemite, a spreadable yeast extract that is a national obesssion. Not one to shy away from a culinary challenge, I took the plunge this morning at breakfast at the Canberra hostel. Ingredients: one piece of toast, a mini-pack of vegemite and strawberry jam. The vegemite itself is a dark brown with the consistency of creamy fudge. I had been told people eat it on toast by itself, with butter or cheese or with a little jam (perhaps I dreamed that part). And I'm sure some folks scoop it out of the jar with a spoon and eat it like I would eat peanut butter.

The verdict: take a leather shoe, walk for about 100 miles without changing socks or washing feet so the sweat and stink seeps deep into the leather. Cut into small pieces and boil down to extract the essence. Add heaps of salt and package. Spread on bread. Chew. Grimace. Swallow. Repeat. They say it's an acquired taste. I may try again tomorrow, but the first time did not convert me.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHHH, Vegemite. The Haggis from Down Under. Did you have the music of Men at Work going through your head as you devoured this foul treat? I want you to penetrate a tribe of Aborigines and get down with the Chief's daughter. THAT is travel, Son! G'Day.

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home